25 August 2012

Tragedy

I went to a funeral this morning.

A funny, vibrant, talented, intelligent young man of 25 let his lust for life lead him down the wrong path.  Apparently, motocross racing, cliff diving and other adrenaline-filled pursuits weren't enough...he was seduced by the White Lady, and ended up paying the ultimate price for it.

We've all heard the old saying, "It's better to burn out than to fade away."  Maybe so.  But when you burn out, remember that those who love you are the ones who have to clean up the ashes.

2 comments:

  1. Well put. sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks...but it wasn't really my loss. I'd met the kid once, thought he was pretty cool, but otherwise, I didn't know him.

    Attending that funeral made me learn a bit more about who he was, and I just can't understand how anyone who had all that going for him would ever think he'd have to mess with smack. And he's his parents' only child, and beloved by a close-knit family. They're in pieces right now, and I can't blame them.

    I just don't get it.

    ReplyDelete

Intelligent commentary is welcome. Spam will be annihilated. Stupidity will be mocked.