09 May 2011

A W&PO Public Safety Tip

The Flat-Earth fools are so obsessed with eliminating carbon dioxide(which is what plants need to make oxygen for our use) that they've ignored its little brother, carbon monoxide.  Since the latter almost killed me today, you might forgive me for thinking their priorities just a bit out of whack.

Carbon monoxide is a principal component of the exhaust from internal combustion engines.  It is odorless and invisible.  And if it's leaking into the cabin of your vehicle, bad things can happen.  I found that out today at work, and it's scary how it can sneak up on you.

I had no idea what was going on.  My extremities were numb, my heart was pounding, I couldn't catch my breath...I honestly thought I was having a heart attack.  I actually called an ambulance, and I'd sooner reattach a ripped-off limb with duct tape than see a doctor.  Once the Fire Department paramedics showed up and put me on an oxy bottle, everything started getting better.  By the time the ambulance got there and put me on a monitor, my heart was back to normal.

They figured it was "dehydration and/or anxiety" and gave me the OK.  Dude...wait, what? I've been broke and homeless, lost everything I had over and over again, been through bike crashes, car wrecks, three scorpion stings, earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, had my back trailer blown over and been twenty feet from a lightning strike. And now I'm having an 'anxiety attack?' WTF-ever.

I went across the lot to buy a couple of extra bottles of water, and once I got back in the truck, I started feeling weird again.  WTF...oh, I get it!  I got it back to the yard with all the windows down, and I'm still not quite myself.  Hopefully, I'll be back to whatever passes for normal in the morning.

So, how was your day at work?  ;)

UPDATE:  It has been confirmed that the emissions equipment was malfunctioning and pouring pure CO into the cab.  Yes, I almost died from the emissions from the emissions equipment.  I'll take "Irony" for $1M, Alex.

2 comments:

  1. I had that happen with a gas fireplace, I had major headaches and was real tired. On a fluke I purchased a carbon monoxide detector, and the damm thing went apeshit. I took it apart and resealed everything. No more problems. I don't take that for granted anymore.
    Good post:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're lucky to still be alive to tell the story. I'm glad you're okay now. Take care, my friend.

    ReplyDelete

Intelligent commentary is welcome. Spam will be annihilated. Stupidity will be mocked.