30 March 2011

In which I am Kafir

OK...that whole 1911 thing? 

I don't get it.  I just don't.

Now, I understand that the 1911 pistol was way ahead of its time when first introduced.  It is an American icon.  It is relatively simple to build and operate, and is about as reliable as an anvil.  I'm not saying it sucks as a firearm.  But this whole cult mentality is really getting up my nose.  In my mind, it's about the same as people who will fight to the death over Caterpillar engines or Harley-Davidson motorcycles.  Too much emotion and far too little common sense.

I pack a Kel-Tec PF-9.  It's also very simple.  It holds just as many rounds as the 1911.  It's far lighter, way easier to conceal and just as reliable as the 1911.  For those of you who want to squall about "stopping power," you're more than welcome to volunteer for target practice.  C'mon, it's just a 9mm.  It can't possibly hurt that bad, right?

Seriously, I'm not trying to be a dick here.  I just do not understand why so many people soil themselves over the 1911.  Is there anyone who can put this into perspective?  Am I missing something?

1 comment:

  1. I'll try because I'm about to join the 1911 tribe.


    First, there is the nostalgia/historical aspect of the 1911. I'm trying to work up the funds to purchase 3 of them. My oldest son is currently a Marine in Okinawa, my youngest son is going to boot camp in August.
    What better birthday presents then a 1911 to celebrate the history of the corp?

    Second, there is the accuracy issue. While my Taurus PT145 is better for concealed carry, I've shot better with every 1911 that I've tried. I have shot them better than any other full sized pistol I've tried. Something about the gun just flat out works for me.

    Lastly, there is the appreciation of the art of the gun. Many other firearms came before and after but how many are based on JMB designs?

    I'm not a creative person in the sense of being able to make something new. I can appreciate how his designs changed the way people looked at firearms.

    ReplyDelete

Intelligent commentary is welcome. Spam will be annihilated. Stupidity will be mocked.