25 January 2013

Reposting paradox

I linked to Lawdog's original post back in late 2010, giving him the 2nd-ever W&PO Award For Extreme Cleverness, and now I'm linking to his repost and elaboration on it.  If this continues, I'm pretty sure this blog will send you back in time.

After every one of these "compromises" -- in which I lose rights and you lose NOTHING -- I'm left holding crumbs of what was once a large and satisfying cake, and you're standing there with most of MY CAKE, making anime eyes and whining about being "reasonable", and wondering "why we won't compromise" as you try for the rest of my cake.

In 1933 I -- or any other American -- could buy a fully-automatic Thompson sub-machine gun, a 20mm anti-tank gun, or shorten the barrel of any gun I owned to any length I thought fit, silence any gun I owned, and a host of other things.

Come your "compromise" in 1934, and suddenly I can't buy a sub-machine gun, a silencer, or a Short-Barreled Firearm without .Gov permission and paying a hefty tax. What the hell did y'all lose in this "compromise"?

In 1967 I, or any other American, could buy or sell firearms anywhere we felt like it, in any State we felt like, with no restrictions. We "compromised" in 1968, and suddenly I've got to have a Federal Firearms License to have a business involving firearms, and there's whole bunch of rules limiting what, where and how I buy or sell guns.

In 1968, "sporting purpose" -- a term found NOT ANY DAMNED WHERE IN THE CONSTITUTION, TO SAY NOTHING OF THE SECOND AMENDMENT -- suddenly became a legal reason to prevent the importation of guns that had been freely imported in 1967.


RTWT.  Over and over again until it sinks in.  And I'll leave you with the relevant excerpt of the comment I posted:

I'll put it on the table: My God-given HUMAN RIGHTS are not up for debate, discussion or 'compromise.' Period. Full stop.

Because that's what it's about, y'all. It's not about a piece of paper or a technicality. It's about OUR HUMAN RIGHTS. To negotiate my right to defense of self, property or country is on the same level of negotiating with a rapist concerning how deep he'll insert it and how long it will last.
 
That's The Way I See It.

BTW, Jennifer's riff on the subject is also worth a look-see.  Absurdity, thy name is government.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Intelligent commentary is welcome. Spam will be annihilated. Stupidity will be mocked.