02 October 2010

Rush Limbaugh is guest-starring WHERE?

On this Sunday's Family GuySeriously.

A peek at the linked article will show the viewpoints of people who think this is a terrible idea, and those who think it's a good thing.  I lean toward the latter view.

Look, you don't have to like Family Guy.  I really kinda don't.  While McFarlane used to be edgy and only mildly Leftist, now he's seriously Leftist and just over-the-top for the sake of it.  And his tangents go on waaaay too long.  But he's on pretty good terms with Rush.  There's no animosity there.  And this may very well help the conservative movement.

Folks, it's like this--we can by turns ignore and scream at the Left.  We can close our eyes and ears and avoid them like the plague, convinced of our own righteousness.  And, if these are the tactics we continue to use, how many Leftists will open their eyes and step over to our side?  Exactly none.  I know.

I used to be a left-leaning libertarian, but now I've turned pretty hard right.  This wasn't due to people trying to shove their opinion down my throat; that simply made me all the more determined not to listen to them.  My change of perspective was caused by people on the Right being kind, calm, rational and yes...even having a sense of humor. 

Mr. Limbaugh has been portrayed as the Leftist equivalent of Beelzebub for decades, now.  Therefore, his appearance on Family Guy can really only help our side.  Think of how many Lefties will catch the credits and be absolutely shocked.  "Dude!!  NO WAY!!  That really was Rush Limbaugh!!  No, for real!  Rewind it and I'll show you...!"  And then what are they supposed to think?  That overly-serious, dour, humorless, stuffed-shirt Right Wing Extremist, the eeeeeeeeeeevil Rush Limbaugh, is cool enough to appear on one of the Left's most popular shows!  This will cause confusion.  Then curiosity.  And then at least a few of them will want to see what this Rush dude is about, 'cause this sure doesn't sound like the guy Mr. Soros told them about in class.

Don't you think this is a better way to win hearts and minds than condemnation and closed-mindedness?

1 comment:

  1. I think I agree with you. My boyfriend inexplicably likes Family Guy, so at least this'll give us something to talk about.

    I've got this Rush Limbaugh book from the early 90s that I bought at a library sale - probably the best part is this song about the Kennedy family to the tune of that "tally me banana" song. :)

    ReplyDelete

Intelligent commentary is welcome. Spam will be annihilated. Stupidity will be mocked.