20 July 2011

Changes...

Before I put up the pro-Israel banner, my tagline used to read:  "From an old travel trailer somewhere in the Sovereign State of Arizona, the bourbon-fuelled rantings of a truck-driving, gun-toting Palinista."

Well, things are changing.  I've had to be away from home, working out of the flyspeck town of Holbrook, AZ during the week--every week--for the last three years.  Most of that time has been spent in the aforementioned 'old travel trailer.'  I'm not really complaining.  I'm blessed to work for one of the greatest companies in my industry.  I've done far worse jobs for far less money, I have a wonderful bunch of coworkers, and even our dispatchers are great people(unheard of!).

But I miss my wife, I miss my cats, and I'm annoyed at paying $85K for a house I basically don't even live in.  So, I've been searching for a transfer to a location within reasonable commuting distance.  And I finally got one.  It'll pay a bit less(acceptable), it'll involve some physical labor(which I could use), and I'll be able to commute on my poor, neglected motorcycle without having to ride through the mountains and freeze my balls off.  There's just one real drawback...


Yep, I'm gonna be back on the night shift again.  Although when it's summer in Phoenix, that could be seen as an upside, I'm wondering if I can deal with it.  I guess we'll find out.

(BTW, this post serves a dual purpose.  It will explain any excessive weirdness in my posts over the next few weeks, and it plugs one of my favorite bands of all time.  FYI.)

4 comments:

  1. Best of luck in your new endeavor, Wraith. Getting settled in a stationary spot will do anyone good, me thinks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mahalo! The paycheck will be less, and I'll be on an opposite schedule from Mrs. Wraith, and she's informed me that I'm more than a bit of a dick when I work nights...but at least I'll be home. Somehow, that makes it all worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the new job!

    Solid Gold? Quarterflash? Whoa! That takes me back aways. :)

    ReplyDelete

Intelligent commentary is welcome. Spam will be annihilated. Stupidity will be mocked.